Saturday, November 17, 2012

Friday Friday Friday

When this is what's happening when you leave for work in the morning...
and this is what the neighourhood gardens look like as you walk to the streetcar stop.

It's hard not to be so excited for the weekend.

There is lots of cool fun things going on this weekend so I'm glad last week was full of restful evenings and quiet chill time with my knitting.

Last night my sister and I went to Deb Perelman's cook book release. A knitter  I had met through the blogosphere and Lettuce Knit almost 10 years ago (!) recommended the Smitten Kitchen to me. Jill Taylor are you still out there?

I still love it and her story. Making beautiful things in a tiny space in Manhattan, doesn't know how to use photoshop, has a lovely three year old, has help to look after him because she works but sometimes she still naps with him in the afternoon....

It's all so normal and  moderate. I am immediately in love with any woman who tells the world that her family and her job are so important that she hires someone to make sure her family is safe while she focuses on her job but is still at home with them.

I worked from home after Fenner was born and always had someone to take care of her while I worked, it was an amazing luxury that she never felt that she was less of a priority because I had split focus. I could eat with Fenner and play with her and on the lucky days nap in the afternoon with her and she never felt like she was my second priority because there was someone to play and go adventuring with her while I had to work.

[Edited for clarification:  I do not in any way believe that my work is as important as the health and welfare of my family but it does pay for our basic needs; food, roof, clothing and so establishes itself in my triage calculations. My family and my work are so important to our overall well being that I refuse to do them at the same time. I just can't parent and work at the same time and meet my own high expectations....] 

7 comments:

knittingsouth said...

wish all parents were like you and Jason. I think me and my late husband did a good job in the 80's but reading your current life I see where we could have been even better. Love your blog and Jason's too. Fenner is a hoot and I adore her wild hair. My eldest daughter is a fan of Smitten Kitchen and Broma Bakery also out of NYC.

Optimistic Existentialist said...

Sounds like you had a good time at the book release!

Jillian said...

I am! I don't blog anymore but I'm still reading yours. Living in the east end now and busy with a crazy 2 year old! And I still love smitten kitchen. Her cookbooks is on my Christmas list for Rob!

Jen said...

You live in the East end now? Email me at my hotmail address!

the best part of my day... said...

Love the girls in their PJs. Why can't we do everything in our jammers?

Jen said...

Right?!!!

JenHendriks said...

I think most parents are. We all are doing the best we can with what we have - values, money, resources, support. Having Jason at home has been a luxury we could tap into!