Thursday, September 27, 2012

Night life

For the first time in about five years, Jason and I have been participating in the Toronto, Just For Laughs Festival.  One of my coworkers reached out to me in August to see if we'd like to buy a pass with a couple of coworkers.

We are wary of committing to a nightlife. This was the first time with a new babysitter, I'm an attached parent, also I get exhausted and September was a month without income so spending money had to be well thought out. I hate spending money and precious energy on extracurricular events and then regretting them.

My guilt is a force to be reckoned with and so an evening has to be perfect for it to be held at bay. Not once in the course of the last 7 days did I feel like it wasn't worth the time, energy and money to go out. What a luxury.

I won't lie.  It was amazing to go out at night and see some really funny acts.  Some local talent and some bigger acts that we had been enjoying from home.  Our first night was Patton Oswalt. We got to the show early and ended up getting in before anyone else did so we got a chill beer and then front row seats to a great show.
To cut down on babysitting cost we saw three shows together and three independently culminating with a Louis CK show. I couldn't quite make all my shows but the ones I did were great nights out.

That guy, is by far the smartest, riskiest stand up comedian I have ever seen. I hope to see Bill Cosby one day but until then this stand up is the best I've seen. Any comic that can eloquently describe a first date as the transcendent human experience that it can be and then button it up with the reality that we all just want to get laid is a genius.

Transcendent people.



He does a good job portraying parenthood too.

No comments: