Monday, August 20, 2012

The Luxury of Simplification

Today marks the end of the first of two weeks up at our family cottage. The girls and I took the train up North and my sister Jessica drove us and my sweet tough nephew to the cottage. We hung out for a few days last week.

Hanging
We don't live close to our family and so we forget about all the beautiful conveniences and value affirming moments that a healthy family has when they see each other daily. By healthy I think we all know that means putting the fun in dysfunctional...

Last week was abnormally busy. Beautiful Luke came and got to be the big kid and run amok with Fenner.  Luke is the youngest of four and, I may be wrong here, but I think he may be the most determined, solid and gentle little person I've ever met.
He kept Fenner on the go and she kept him from jumping off of cliffs. I appreciated that.
Timeless Laughter
There is no way I would be having as much fun as I am up here without the constant and graciously passive support of my Mom and Dad.  Whenever the cottage gets a bit tight or full we can go for a breather and a visit with Nan and Grandpa.

I am inspired by my Mom's philosophy of providing simple and creative toys and tools that are mostly found in daily life for kids to explore and experiment with.  Her home has always been full of toys that belong to a bigger life - Egg cartons, tin foil, drums out of containers. When she does buy toys, they are toys that grow with the beasts. 

Clearly Liz has been inspired as well because when I came back from my run on Tuesday this is what I found. A drumming circle, babies, and a blissed out Grandfather. It was almost good enough to muffle my bitterness at how sleek my sister looks 4 months after having a baby...almost.
Marching to the Beat of our own Drums
As if there wasn't enough fun to be recovered from my dear friend Stephanie came for what she thought might be a time out from the city. She might have gotten it too if she wasn't so damned great with children and grown ups. 
She and Fenner really solidified their friendship over art, nature and lichen. We're still trying to figure out what this kind of lichen is but we've been hunting Umbilicaria all over the place. I've been coming up here since I was born and have never once seen the leafy sprigs until Steph pointed out the sheets of Umblicaria Americana out.
Now, she and I see lichen everywhere.
Orange and Mysterious
Going feral has never been so easy.

A rhythm of a sort has come to pass; the beat of the morning with it's coffee and visits to Grandparents and neighbours, chores, swimming, lunch, nap, swimming, chores, dinner, clean up, stories, and bed.
Life is simpler when you don't fight it.

1 comment:

Liz said...

Camera angles CAN be kind!