Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Squamward Ho or How I learned to take a Minute

I am back from five days in New Hampshire where I attended the Squam Art Workshops at Squam Lake.  This is a blessing not only because of the quality of the workshops and attendees but because Marlowe was welcome to come with me.
 
 I walked this path four times in the morning classes until she fell asleep in the carrier.  The song birds and wind providing the soundtrack to our meditation.

The lake was the backdrop to all of our time in the cabin.
Driving 11 hours to and from Squam was made not only bearable but truly enjoyable by this merry band of Women who never once made me feel like Marlowe was anything but a great addition to our trip.
I had the privilege to meet and tease the gracious and funny Amanda Soule of www.soulemama.com while Marlowe and Annabelle commisserated over their lots in life.

 I was able to take a couple of hours and learned how to warp my loom and then weave it while these women held my sleeping bean - time is a luxury that is given by community.


 For her part, Marlowe represented her people with more dignity and charm than I could have hoped.  She gave me warning signs in advance of pre-nap meltdowns which allowed us to go outside and walk it off before she freaked out. 

She slept well so I could enjoy a glass of wine in the evenings and was so even tempered that when we found her first tooth on hour 6 of the trip home, I was shocked.

 It was an amazing five day full of new people, old friends and re-inspiration. 

That being said, re-entry still feels a lot like rear entry at the end of the day.

15 comments:

C_ellis said...

I found you! And I bet you didn't even know you were lost. I 'found' you years ago through Steph's blog (the triumvirate) but 'lost' you along with so many other things after my son was born. This past year I've shaken my memory several times trying to get back here. I even pondered asking her about you in a workshop but talked myself out of it. And then today there was a link and just like that you are back with a new baby no less. So ... um ... yes. Hello. Congratulations and thank you Squam

amandabragg said...

ah, bliss!! Congrats for getting to enjoy!

Jen Hendriks said...

Thanks Amanda and congrats on the impending East Coast Life!

Jen Hendriks said...

Welcome Back! It's been sporadic writing over here the last few years but I'm on an upswing...this week. Welcome to motherhood, belatedly.

Craftygrrrl said...

SQUAM looks like the happiest place on Earth! Glad you had a great time.

laura said...

that is a gorgeous photo of megan!

Jen Hendriks said...

I think Steph took it with my camera on the dock. She looked like that all weekend.

Jen Hendriks said...

I think if folks wanted to be crabby they had to really work hard to get there.

Jen Hendriks said...

Nope just 20 lbs in Ontario; http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/safety/carseat/choose.shtml

Baloopup said...

is this comment for real? _this_ is what you are compelled to comment after reading this beautiful blog post? are you the safety police? watch out Jen, "testing" might call the children's aide society on you or, worse yet, Dr. Phil. Oh, and i hope you weren't breastfeeding after having a glass of whine! no doubt "testing" would have something to comment about that too.

TracyKM said...

I think "Testing" is just surprised that someone followed the minimum recommendations these days, considering the very wide-spread evidence of the importance of keeping a child rear-facing as long as possible; preferably at least until age 2. I haven't heard of a single parent in the past 10 years that has faced a child forward just because they reached 20lb, if they were still under a year old. I know many that turned baby around on their first birthday, after hitting 20lbs around 9 months. Most parents I know in the past 5 years have kept their children rear facing much longer than 1 year. It's just safer. Watch some of the videos on YouTube of what happens to a baby who's forward facing in an accident :( Preventable injuries.
I LOVED seeing her in the Ergo! (Though wow, you wear her so low on your back; I used a mei tai and kept my girl up high due to SI joint problems). I wish more parents knew about babywearing!

Concerned said...

Canadian Pediatric Society:
Every year, more than 2500 children between the ages of 1 and 4 years are injured or killed in car collisions in Canada. Many injuries or deaths can be prevented with the right use of car seats and booster seats.
What type of car seat should I use?

Infants should be in rear-facing car seats until they are at least 1 year of age and weigh 10 kg (22 lb). Rear-facing car seats should be used as long as your child meets the weight and height limits in the manufacturer’s instructions, even if they are beyond 1 year of age. Don’t rush to move them to the next stage. Even young toddlers are safer in the rear-facing position. Some rear-facing car seats can be used for children up to 20 kg (45 lb).

Nothing's more beautiful than a safe, healthy baby. A glass of wine doesn't hurt anybody. A car crash will.

Jen Hendriks said...

Thanks Tracy, I use all sorts of carriers and have used the Ergo for going on 4 years. I used it all the way up until my first baby was 3.5 years when we went on big trips at the end of long days.

Jen Hendriks said...

Thanks for your concern!

Testing said...

Should that baby be in a front facing car seat? I thought the rules were one year old, walking unassisted, and at least 20 pounds.