Friday, March 16, 2012

Old Man River

Dear Dad,

It's 3:45 am the morning after your birthday. Everyone in the house is asleep except for me because I actually slept last night and, well, you know how it goes. 

I think I spoke with you twice today looking for Mom to sort some stuff out and totally forgot what day it was.  To be honest, for some reason I think it's March 3rd which would be great because it would mean I didn't totally miss your birthday.

Holy Hell. I just checked the date on the computer and TODAY IS YOUR BIRTHDAY!! I'm up super early on your birthday SO I DIDN'T MISS IT AFTER ALL.

I can't believe I get to start the day with such a great sense of victory.

These are some of my favourite Dad moments of last year.
We are solving all of the family problems and preventing future problems.  BECAUSE WE ARE AMAZING and also, our noses give us super powers.  Little known fact.
The quiet times and moments of focus you have with my daughters are what make you such a great grandfather.  Girls need more men like you in their lives to take them on adventures around the bay, to take them on special fishing adventures and to challenge them to rise up on their own to take on the big world.
 
Luckily you still embody the 'craggy old fart' aura pretty professionally.

Love Jen

1 comment:

ewenique said...

Such a sweet post. birthday wishes to your daddy!