Thursday, March 08, 2012

Affairs of the Heart

Shitballs! I've been killing the blogging regularity until this month.

It's time I was honest with you.  I've been keeping secrets. Big ones. Secrets about who I've been hanging out with and how awesome it's been.  We've tried to feel terrible about our time together but the reality is, we're all really amazing, smart, witty and charming people who were getting together for a common cause.

My sister Liz is having a baby.  This baby is going to be absolutely fantastic.  I am just dying to meet the little person that Liz has been diligently making for months.
My excitement about having another little bean is almost outweighing my absolutely inappropriate jealousy at how gorgeous Liz is looking.  She looks just perfect.

I was deeply concerned at my ability to knit the baby's weight in wool given my own hijacked schedule so I asked Nat and Steph to give me a quick how to on the beautiful community blanket that my coven at Lettuce Knit put together for me.

The wool: Cascade 220 in their natural colourways. My sister is an environmentally minded woman who helps write policy for water sustainability. If we are drinking freshwater in 30 years we might take a minute to thank her.
 I organized 2 big stitch and bitch sessions and a number of smaller sessions to blitz this puppy. Almost everyone I could stalk knit on this blanket.  Aunts, and Friends.
 Cousins and Mothers.
 Cousins in town for a shopping trip came by, learned how to knit and then knit on the blanket.
 Together we made a beautiful blanket to wrap your beautiful bean in.

I'm sorry Liz. It was a lot of fun.  The people who love you are really lovely and it was just impossible not to enjoy each other's company. 

The border was put on and cast off the morning of the baby shower so I didn't quite make the deadline but the ends have been woven and our blanket is having a little bath today.  I can't think of a nicer person to have so many people knitting a welcome for.

And now that the whole torrid affair is out of the closet I'll be able to trust myself in this space again.

The scene of the party.

Photo credit Kristan Hendriks

2 comments:

Lizard said...

blubber, blubber! Thank you Jen and everyone who is so excited to welcome le bebe. You are right, the people who love me are the most loveliest of people. I swoon at the feet of my community:)
Love,
Aunty Liz and the break dancer.

Yvette LeClair said...

Jeepers! You sure are productive. Where do find the energy to get all this stuff done?