Thursday, February 16, 2012

Not Illiterate

I know I'm not alone when I say that of all the luxuries I had, I miss the time, energy and concentration the most.  I spent days eating books as though that time would always be there.  I would read 1 or 2 books a week!  After I became a mother it was all I could do to finish 1 or 2 pages in a week. Nothing could keep me awake - it seemed that if I had time to read then that time would be better used snoozing.

Now, I certainly don't want to suggest that two children is the answer, but for some reason my ability to read was returned after Marlowe.  Maybe it was the great recovery, my ability to roll into maternity leave or the quality of authors now a days (doubt it) but I've read four books since January 1st.

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children was the first book of 2012. It was so creepy and gripping that I couldn't put it down. The found pictures upon which most of the story was based were the most creepy. The story itself was just gripping. I wish I could find the book though, did I lend it to anyone reading this blog?

The Virgin Cure was next on my hit list. Jason got me a whole pile of books for Christmas all of them appealing to my different interests.  This was the story of Moth, a poverty stricken girl left to the mercies of economy and market value.  It's an old story - women have been selling themselves for centuries but it's hard to digest when girls are placed in the same marketplace.  Painful even.

The Midwife of Venice was a period novel about a Jewish Midwife in Venice during the Renaissance.  I couldn't put it down but not so much because of the Midwifery content or the political overtones but because of the romantic novel content. There were no heaving bosoms but man, there was a lot of baby rescuing from evil brothers and husbands sold into slavery in Malta.  True love, man I dig it.

Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? that review says everything.  I'm still hoping to be the success that balances out the awkward indecisive nerd I was....I'll keep on trucking.  Since reading Bossypants I've developed a little bit of a fetish for women making any sort of a living doing comedy - especially writing or improvising.

On February's deck is: Last Night in Twisted River (it starts with a LOGJAM DEATH!!), and the Complete Stories of Dorothy Parker.  If I make it through both of those books I'll be happy. Things have definitely slowed down around here.

Requisite cute offspring shot. It was so cold last week that Marlowe enjoyed the benefits of wool pants!

No comments: