Saturday, February 18, 2012

Homemade Valentine's Day

I know that Valentine's Day is a totally made up  holiday used to give folks a chance to make up for taking their families for granted but I love it. 

Maybe I love it because my expectations are minimal.  Jason tells me everyday that he loves and appreciates me.  He leaves me notes in the morning with cartoon drawings that are funny and that say kind things about the life we lead together.  I know it's completely smaltzy but he's a good illustrator and a really funny guy and I love them.

He started leaving them when he went back to work after Marlowe was born.  I was really nervous about being able to be a parent to two children by myself.  I have high standards and am almost cripplingly afraid of failure.  It was nice to know he understood what a hard job it is.

This is what I got for Valentine's day. Another morning note on a homemade heart and another beautiful handmade mug from the Ontario Crafts Council Guild Shop. I love homemade so much.

It makes me happy to know that the few dollars we spend on each other somehow go further when a specific person or local guild gets the money instead of some enormous nameless corporation.  Maybe that money will get spent somewhere in Toronto...

I'm still sorting our pictures from the year and came across this one.  Remember Spring?  It will come again.  I can't wait to see the poppies in my neighbour's garden blooming!


1 comment:

Nicole said...

I am just going to say it...you and Jason are all kinds of awesome and those notes are pretty damn sweet.

Oh also you should check out my friend Telma's blog http://www.knittyornice.com/

I feel like the two of you should be friends. :)