Friday, January 20, 2012

Week 2 Knitting

One of my New Year's resolutions is to write a list of things to do every week and stick to it as much as possible. I prioritize household tasks like finances, food and education obviously but I also make note of knitting priorities as well.

I want to see if I can keep on top of things if I note them and stay focussed. I like to start something new every week, finish something and maintain progress (like on a blanket) so that I feel like everything is moving forward.

Last week I started and finished a Dark Side Cowl out of some left over Manos Del Uruaguay that I'd used to rug hook a wedding gift a few years back. It was a super satisfying pattern and since I'm ironically very low on winter woollies I got myself some heat.
I started and finished one of a pair of socks for Fenner. I know that her feet are small so this wasn't all that and a bag of crisps but I love that I STARTED AND FINISHED something in a week. It really reminded me of the true portability of simple socks. Expect to see more boring socks!

The colour isn't very visible here but I expect to finish these this week and will post better pictures next week.
In my progress bucket, I've finished the neverending applied I-Cord edging to Fenner's Mitred Crossing blanket. I'm looking forward to seeing the end product which at the rate I'm going should be next week! I finished this while nursing and watching The Big C.

I'm so satisfied with this blanket I can't wait to finish it.
Since I'm almost done the blanket of 2011 I had to pick up the yarn for the next long overdue blanket. In the picture below you'll see a painting in the background. It is a spectacular painting given to me in exchange for a handknit blanket...a year ago. It's time to get that party started. I hope to finish it in less than 6 months...
It was a great week. I finished Bird by Bird by Anne Lamott and started The Virgin Cure by Ami MacKay. Reading, writing and knitting are passions I've had a really hard time enjoying in the past few years. I am energized and inspired that appetite has reappeared. Progress is slow and interrupted by the will is strong.

"The first draft is the child's draft, where you let it all pour out and then let it romp all over the place, knowing that no one is going to see it and that you can shape it later. You just let this childlike part of you channel whatever voicess and visions come through and onto the page."

Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird: Some Instructions on Writing and Life.

No comments: