Wednesday, November 02, 2011

National Sweater Knitting Month!

For the past year my knitting mojo has been on the slow and steady side. It's been tedious and uninspired. Non knitters might view the act of knitting as a whole in this way but that perception can only be from a place of little experience. I have found knitting to be a barometer for my focus and energy. It has been a pregnant and slow moving year for me.

Since having Marlowe I feel re-energized again. I need to do something extreme to reboot my knitting passion again. As such, I am attempting NaNoSweMo. In a moment of sheer insanity I was going to try NaNoWriMo but then I had to hold a baby for 5 hours. I can knit and carry a baby but I cannot string a coherant story together at the same time.

I needed something simple, warm and bulky to help me through this winter and thus I chose the Shalom Cardigan in Cascade Eco Wool. Lettuce Knit has a bunch of cardis in this style and I love the cosiness of them.

On Day 1 I picked up the yarn after dropping F off at school and cast on after dinner. By the end of Day 1 I had the first repeat of the pattern completed.
The morning of Day 1 was spent exploring a ravine park just 2 blocks east of our house. While going for a walk with Jason we went down some stairs by the side of the road and ended up in a huge ravine!
There was a small creek that Fenner thinks is perfect for fishing and I think is perfect for not drowning in. There is a forest! It's a low woodsy 'hike' to take energetic 4 year olds.

Easy access, low effort and high return on investment. Fenner was exhausted last night from climbing on logs and bridges.
No one has ever mentioned this place to me. Is it a secret? Is this how the sane seeming mothers on the street keep it together?

It is an amazing find - it will be great in the winter for Fenner to practice snowshoeing and exhausting play. Maybe it was the sun shining through the last of the fall leaves but it was a breathtaking find.

4 comments:

PCR said...

I finished my first sweater in August! And then went quickly on to do another. Granted, for a 6 mo old and 4 year old so they went pretty quickly. Of course, nothing like your speed. My improvement is slow but steady. That helps me from losing heart.

I've now gone on to a afghan for our niece - supposedly for Christmas. But, her birthday is at the end of January if I can't finish it in time.

I do so want to thank you for inspiring me to knit! I enjoy it. And it certainly helps take the "stink" out of the day.

Pam

JenHendriks said...

Let's make a date to go before you leave the 'hood Pierrette!

JenHendriks said...

Blanket knitting is the way to go! I love it and the knowledge that it's supposed to take months somehow helps with the reality when it gets a bit tedious.

It also adds another layer of satisfaction when you're done.

Pierrette Wiseman said...

Thank you so much for reminding me of this place