Tuesday, May 31, 2011

I hoped to be this lucky.

Jason, Fenner and I just got back from our 8 day New York City adventure. Our close friend and Fenner’s Godmother, Carolyn (Coco), joined us for the first 4 days and really made the weekend luxurious – three adults to one child really facilitates sanity.

If Fenner had to choose anyone to go on adventures with, it would be with Coco. You see, Coco, is Scottish in work ethic and drive. Coco, doesn’t need naps and Coco is very very clear about her expectations of good behavior and good manners. Clear rules are a relief to three year old people.NYC II 016

At FAO Schwartz Storytime gummy bears in tow

Fenner, being a quick study, learned very quickly that with good manners and a respect for logic she could finnagle a bulk candy store at FAO Schwartz and score the good stuff.

I have been friends with Carolyn for almost 17 years now somehow making it through tenuous relationships, distance and douchey behaviour. We were both raised fairly nomadic and seem to have the same pragmatic view of saying adieu when moving away.

I think that outside of my family my friendship with Coco is the longest relationship I've had. A particularly nice thing considering her incredibly irritating habit of slipping into a prosecutorial tone when she disagrees with me and my incredibly irritating habit of judging harshly on a whim.

Always game for an adventure in Algonquin Park, New York City or Canoe she can do it all, exactly the type of woman you would want your daughters to be exposed to. She is moving off for adventures overseas next year and we are going to miss her greatly. How magical that Coco will always be the person that introduced Fenner to the piano at FAO.

Here she is laughing really hard at a butt joke from our night on the town. I will miss her greatly.

No comments: