Tuesday, March 08, 2011

Nothing wrong with a healthy case of denial.

See what I did there? DENIED YO!

My prolific friend is quite right when she described me as a denialist (MADE UP WORD!). I've been known to be a denier of reality in all sorts of charming contexts. Jason may contest this claim as he perhaps has witnessed the less charming moments of this terrible habit. You might say "Impossible!" but it's true.

Perhaps the case of Dr. Frank's champagne purchased while I was on holiday in the Finger Lakes WAS over kill. Perhaps. If I admit to that though, I would be suggesting that the delicious champers I enjoyed through the fall and winter was a terrible mistake.

That is not going to happen.

Perhaps it was while under the influence of aforementioned champers, that I thought 100 extra stitches at the cast on end of my Birch Shawl was a whole lot of nothing. It is a dissatisfying moment in this knitter's cast off career to have my finished object be too small to be a shawl and too large to be a shawlette.

100 stitches in KidSilk Haze is nothing more than a couple of champagne corks lined up in a row! That's nothing!

Well, 2 months later in November, as I was nearing the end of my third and last ball of the Liquor Colourway (the irony didn't escape me either). I did what any professionial denialist would do.

I stopped knitting. When I revisited my leviathan 1 month later. I could no longer deny that those tiny 100 stitches were going to equal close to an additional 2 balls of yarn. This was quickly becoming the pet project of a mad scientist planning to take over the world with the beautiful halo of a high end mohair/silk blend.After raiding Romni's and Dr. Steph's last Liquor stash. I finally got to the end. What was until that fateful night, the fabled last stitch.


I cast her off. She is magnificent, worth every moment of blatant denial of reality and logic. She is warm and large. The perfect shield against what some people are suggesting is the continuation of winter.

Fools, from behind this lacy deliciousness, hope springs eternal!

2 comments:

Yvette said...

Finally done! It looks beautiful.

Anonymous said...

love it !
denial rules !
lovely shawl!
helga