Sunday, August 29, 2010

What's a little more change..

So with the advent of changing virtually every day to day schedule and expected responsibility in the house. I've been trying to take all of the bad habits and wishes for good habits into account. The seemingly little habits I'm constitently trying to integrate to daily life: shopping for clothes (everyone's), planning weekly meals, flossing, bike commuting, running 3 times a week, reading more, cooking more etc. Aim high bitches!

My theory is that since everything is so off putting already - learning a new culture and job at work is exhausting, the family morning and night routines are changing we may as well use the opportunity to shake it all up.

As a result, it took two weeks for Jason and I to have a moment of clarity to realize we had somehow lost all house maintenance time in the shift of the schedule. Not only that but because Fenner's sleep schedule has been adjusted to an earlier time (7:00 - 7:30) we actually only have 3 hours a day together as a family.

How does one parent 15 hours a week? This question does nothing but drive home the pounding weight of guilt because, god help me, I am still in love with new job. I feel fulfilled, healthy and focussed. Talk about torn!

In the midst of transitioning my life my fantastic cousin Deanna called to find out if we were available for a play date on a rainy Sunday and in typical last minute fashion we were able to pull it together.

Happy children playing together stops the cycle of self-flagellation. We're all doing ok. Hari and Deanna have been juggling not only paying jobs but an artist's drive for creative outlet (Deanna's a singer). Thank god for great company!
It does beg the question:

How are the other double income families looking so goddam normal and together? The last time I felt this ramped and stretched out (literally and figuratively) was when Fenner was days old. I believe I may have at the time described what I was feeling as though I was a "political prisoner just escaped from a Chinese prison"*

*not to denigrate the plight of political prisoners but maybe to draw attention to the universal shock of new motherhood.

Fenner had a sleep over with Auntie Coco on Friday so Jason and I could remind ourselves of being in love and we had a fantastic night.

We met F and Carolyn at the CNE on Saturday night where we broiled ourselves in the hot sun of Carnie-Town. Fenner, is fearless. Any roller coaster she could get on with one of us was riddent and some of them were done without us.
She's all warmed up to go to the Perth Fair with Grandma and Grandpa on the long weekend. J and Fenner will be going to Smith's Falls for Labour Day weekend.

3 comments:

Craftygrrrl said...

The trick for us was learning what we could let slide when it came to the household chores and establishing a realistic routine with the kids. Also, realizing that both Chris and I need to have time for our respective hobbies once the kids are in bed has beceom a huge santy saver.

Jillian said...

I love the last picture of Fenner. Too cute! I'm due on Oct. 1! EEK!!!!!

Lynn said...

Housework? What do you mean?

:)