Wednesday, August 25, 2010

What are they going to say...

when I knit for the first time in the office? Once, I start knitting at lunch I might get my conversion numbers up as well as get me some amazing lined bike mittens! Fiddlehead mittens in Tanis fibre.

I'd been contemplating a job change for about a year when an opportunity arose at a really wicked internet consulting job downtown Toronto. Very young, glavanized and inspired team that is looking to do some work in the not for profit/charity sector.

What really grabbed my heart, for lack of a more pragmatic analogy, was the fact that all 5 people I spoke with in the interview process had passions outside of the immediate work. The benefits and impact of these interests seemed to fully impact the energy of the day to day work.

An urban cycling advocate and blogger, an Iron Man contender, VP of Talent who I've heard multiple co-workers thank personally for help she's given them, multiple dedicated parents to name a few.

Every day I meet more people who not only keep on top of their design and industry standards all while being engaged in their personal lives. I've been biking to work most days and it feels awesome. The business casual environment means that I don't wear yoga pants and pajamas anymore - you know? I don't miss it as much as I thought I would.

Speaking of business casual, Little Miss has discovered skinny dipping at the cottage...
I just can't wait until month one of adjusting to a new culture is done. It's exhausting learning a new culture, never mind one in which you're one of the oldest staff in the room.

How the hell did that happen?

3 comments:

Jillian said...

congrats on the new job - it sounds great! I hate starting new jobs and the learning curve that comes with it but sometimes it is totally worth it!

jacquieblackman said...

Congratulations on the new job, my friend! I agree that the transition from yoga pants to office casual isn't that bad. My issue was my feet hurt like the dickens because I wasn't used to wearing shoes for 8 hours a day. That was weird!

Pickyknitter said...

Love those mittens!