Sunday, June 27, 2010

If at first you don't succeed....

rip it out and knit the holy shit right out of that lace shawl. In some cases, again and again for as long as it takes.

It all started with a small night in with a couple of knitterly types and some wine. One of these types gave me a skein of delicious Mooi as a hostess gift. Knitter guests = most generous and enjoyable.

My other delightful guest suggested I use it to knit one of the shawls from this magical tome, Triangular and Long Shawls by Sigridur Halldortsdottir (translation by Steinunn J. Asgeirsdottir).
I've posted pictures of the Hyrna Herbogar shawl in progress before - I must have started this piece at LEAST 5 or 6 times before I could keep my centre line from wandering off to the left with my G-Series (20 or 8) political views.

On Saturday night while watching the city get galvanized I cast, what I fondly refer to as, the Fucker, off. In true lace magic the Ramen noodle phase charmed me.
The blocking amazed me. What the what?!? It actually looks like lace! STABLE LACE. There didn't seem to be any hidden dropped stitches or uncontrolled yarn overs to be wrangled.The actual shawl bewitches me. This has always been a gift for close and very generous friend of mine. Any new yarn I've acquired in the last two years has been pretty much by her generousity. We've spent hours on the phone affirming politics, parenting and general opinions.

She's a pro level knitter so I knew the level of stick-to-itiveness that I had to demonstrate to finish this dreamy piece would be appreciated. The charm of a birthday gift for a birthday 2 years ago can truly be appreciated by another knitter who has experienced the questionable victory of delivering a birthday gift on the needles.

This is the most beautiful thing I've ever knit. There is a small, very unacceptable, very uncouth part of me that may take it back and knit her a hat.

5 comments:

charlotte said...

get outta here... come on. you are SO talented.

Molly said...

Unbelievably gorgeous.

Sally said...

Reminds me of those butterfly cupcakes-----------so delicate--amazing woman!

yarnsalad said...

This is so beautiful!

You inspire me. I'm about to embark on my First Shawl.

(move to Tofino)

(please)

Dani said...

It's wonderful! Absolutely gorgeous!