Thursday, May 21, 2009

Cottage Milestones

Ah, Queen Victoria, somehow your birth has become the milestone for cottagers everywhere. Bloody cold milestone at that!

We opened Six Mile last weekend and if there were any doubts my offspring would be meek in the face of busted pipes, power outages and freezing cold temperatures this weekend dispelled them. I only wish I'd taken more pictures but alas, pusted pipes and power outages.

Fenner's Fairy Godmother Coco (of whom I have *no* decent pictures) took care to play with Fenner while her dad and I opened the little cottage and made sure the beds were usable. Throwing rocks into the lake and exploring all the rocks and hills were the order of the first cold day.

On Sunday the sun came out though the wind was bitter cold - Fenner promptly followed our lead and started her first season of twigging and wood collection.
Lots of windstormse over the winter ensured that the wood pile will get stocked early in the year to prep for the fall. The turtle wheelbarrow came in extremely handy.
Fenner hit a lot more of the "cottage kid" milestones then we had expected. She crossed the bridge for the first time to visit her Aunt Teppy and experience the joy (and suspense) of fireworks with Uncle Lawrence, wine with Aunt Anita and general carrousing with the cousins. Smart kid knows which names to learn first and proceeded to say "Hi Aunt Teppy" from the canoe the next day.

First canoe ride on the first warm sunny day at the cottage. I find the sound of the paddle and the sun sparkling off the water hypnotic too.

video

It's going to be a good summer.

8 comments:

rams said...

O my.

David said...

Yes, my, oh my..............
Aunt Sally

Carol said...

Sounds like a great way to spend a weekend. Even if it was a little cold. So long as you weren't planning on swimming....

Meg.xo said...

I love it!!!! Cottage kids rock :)

Lise said...

Colour me exceedingly, excruciatingly jealous.

Anonymous said...

I love that video!!!
Auntie Liz

alyson said...

We cottage kids are a hardy bunch - the video is priceless and makes me sick for cottage life. Sorry it was so cold though; the past few May 24's have stunk for weather.

Dr. Steph said...

I love toddler times--so much discovery. And so cute!