Sunday, October 26, 2008

One year.

On Saturday we celebrated this moment. It's truly awesome to me that this moment and every moment following it has made me feel like a complete and utter superheroine. She is the most amazing little person that I have had the honour to meet.
I got lost last week in the anniversary of what came before *that* moment. It was a bad week then and a bad week now but oh, *that* moment. No one tells you that when you embark on this adventure. That this little person will change your foundation and shift your view of the world in an irrevocable way.

They don't say to you that no matter how your birth and parenting stories unfold, the little person coming to your life, is coming to turn your life upsidedown.


This person will give what you thought was a full and rich life, depth. This person will give the most banal events of living like hiccups and yawning a magical newness that will bewitch you through the worst winters in the last decade.
Then pee all over the only suit that fits your post-partum body 10 minutes before you have to leave for the first work conference in months.

There is no one else that you want to hold closer as their pee dribbles down the front of your grey silk suit.


I just never knew motherhood would be wanting to snuggle someone after they just peed on me.

**There will be more on this dress later.

8 comments:

Craftygrrrl said...

It's all very fun, even those crazy making moments where they have puked into your bra for the 5th time that day.

Definitely wouldn't trade it for the world.

EliCa said...

Beautiful, just beautiful. Your words of love for your daughter ring so true in my heart because even though I have 3 daughters myself, I have never been able to put words to those warm, beautiful, painful moments of itense love and longing.
Happy Birthday to you both.

Oh Baby! said...

baby love! i hear ya sister!
it was wonderful to share in Fenner's special day. hope to see u real soon.
xo

Dr. Steph said...

At least she didn't barf on you.

Happy Birthday Fenner.

And the magic just continues.

Holly said...

My baby just had her first birthday, so I know how you feel! Happy birthday to Fenner, and happy anniversary of becoming a Mama to you!

Lara said...

Happy Birthday Fenner!

And Jen, congratulations on making it through that first terrifying, wonderful year. We're nearly there, and I can't believe it.

Intense.

Samantha said...

Happy Birthday Fenner. :)

Lise said...

What a fabulous model that Fenner is! Good to see you blogging more - I hardly ever see you so it's good to read your stuff. Keep up the good work.