Thursday, November 01, 2007

When nothing else works....bring in the handknits.

Thanks for all of your comments on our most spectacular of babies. I didn't know that many people read my ironically named blog..

We are over the moon with the "happy" to have her safe, healthy and on the outside. It brought me no small amount of satisfaction that she came out with both middle fingers flared at the doctors - pink and screaming with all the rage of someone woken up from a nap too soon. We all know what *that's* like. I'm writing her birthstory but it's taking awhile...not unlike her actual birth.

When we were growing up we would spend entire summers at our cottage with my Mom and usually random cousins from the States. My Mom was very strict about afternoon napping when we were up north.

I guess when you have at least four kids that span 10 years from oldest to youngest, napping is a survival requirement and like all herds of children we could wind ourselves up to the point of no return unless intervention was used and coincidentally our bedroom was up in the loft at the peak of our little wooden cottage.

I'm not sure if you've ever had the dubious pleasure of sleeping in a loft in the peak of summer but it is a hot dry heat that has the tranquilizing force of a dozen rhino darts. Mom would herd us up to the loft after lunch - I learned much later that the rule about not swimming after eating was made up just to facilitate the herding. INJUSTICE!

After being successfully confined to our fates we would spend 10 minutes whining about the injustice of it all, 15 minutes reading old school comic books and 1 hour sleeping the sleep of active sun kissed naturally tranquilized children. My cottage cousins may remember us being yanked back to home base in the middle of swimming fun before lunch not to be seen again until hours later with sheet wrinkles baked into our faces and ready to go.

I introduce you to the power of the handknit blanket or as we have taken to calling it - The Nuker. At this stage Fenner generally sleeps a minimum of 2 hours between feedings and is having no problem at all but every once in awhile she throws us for a loop and refuses to shut her beautiful perfect eyes...for those moments we enlist the a Nuker.

A Nuker is any handmade blanket - This particular model is a night time special, made by many hands of many women it has the perfect amount of warmth and weight so that the comfort it provides is unbeatable.

While it pays to understand the properties of the fibre used on the blanket to use it effectively the true power lies within it's creation - collaborative/coordinative effort, sheer force of will, ability to finish, pure affection for the the mother and as yet unborn Pork Bun.

To maximize the aforementioned qualities special attention to the fibre can be helpful. Plant fibres are versatile and lightweight - perfect for a mid-afternooner whereas animal fibres are the big guns used for night time desperation when I have emptied the breasts and she is ready to party.

16 comments:

TheAmpuT said...

I've been away from the computer for a very long while...congrats on your beautiful baby!

meg said...

Oh Jen, she just perfect isn't she? That little round head...

We too learned the secret of the weight of blankets. How to pile enough on to make the baby pass out but without smothering :) The Nuker indeed.

Love and kisses from this cottage cousin who felt SO cottage homesick reading this entry.

meredith said...

SO cottage homesick! Ahh, afternoon naps in the loft- a different loft but a cottage loft all the same!

She is so, so, so, so beautiful! I'm so happy for all of you. It's great!

Jillian said...

Jen, she is so cute!

Elizabeth said...

Adorable!!! My heart is all mooshy now...
Liz
ps: my word verification says "poo" tee hee.

Kim said...

Nothing like the power of things handmade just for you!

She gorgeous Jen, and you sound like you're having the time of your life.

Carol said...

Beautiful. And I love the Nuker theory.

Spooky_Knitter said...

My god Jen, she's so perfect!

denny (send gifts) Mcmillan. said...

I guess, cause she was born before Halloween, we can't call her a "Christmas Baby".

But if you look at the date today....


Happy Holiday Season !!!

Yo Hi out there to the wonderful Rachelh.

Sandi Purl said...

is that Cartman keeping a close eye over Fenner!? She is adorable. I hope that you are doing well and enjoying every moment! can't wait to hear more! loving u lots xo

megan said...

she's beautiful! i can't wait to meet her!

Deana said...

She looks so content and happy - I have been reading your blog since TheHarlot mentioned the baby shower; so glad everyone is happy and healthy!

alyson said...

Ah....we too had a loft - I think we all realize now what a conspiracy it was (and consequently have to find a way to build one in our home). She is simply gorgeous and I can't wait to see the freshness in person.

Andrea said...

Your baby sleeps for two hours between feedings? And you're winning our Scrabulous game? I never looked so good with babies, well done!

Tracey, in MI said...

she's just. beautiful.

Hmmm I could use a nuker for my teen sons.... and one for my 5 year old- for sure. Maybe one for my bad dog- too.

what the heck _ I wonder if it woukd work for a pmsy woman...whose name is me...;)

Anonymous said...

She looks so content and sweet. It's hard to put into words how much a lovely baby can melt your heart.

Cin