Monday, November 19, 2007

So this is what you meant..

Something happened today. This beautiful picture is of a time when the perfect baby slept for a minimum of 3 hours at a time.

Actually, she's still perfect - I'm exhausted today due to a sudden engagement of ye olde cluster feeding that Fenner engaged in today. I actually don't mind the cluster feeding I think it's pretty cool natural engineering it's the prolactin high that cripples me into exhaustion.

Ah, prolactin.

On a completely different note I've recently become the owner of a sewing machine and am giddy to learn to quilt. Allison blogged about a quilt kit that she'd bought online but Kelly doesn't have any more kits for sale. I'm looking for a 'beginner' level quilting kit to cut my teeth on. Anyone got any recommendations? Right now, I'm just googling away..

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

so buy some material & I'll show you how to cut perfect squares(or do it for you--it's easy - I've got the cutting tool(circular cutting knife), the table and the ruler..............
3", 4", 5" squares- you name it, I'll cut it.
Sally
What a georgous sleeping baby....

Andrea said...

your newborn baby slept for a minimum of three hours at at time? i'm trying to reconcile the deep pity i have for myself and my two crazy babies, with the honest happiness i feel for you and your not-so-crazy baby. motherhood has found you flawlessly.

Craftygrrrl said...

There is a great quilt store by me, when I do my next S*bucks run (my new walking motivation) I can see what they have for quilt kits.

The Log cabin style is a great beginner quilt. There are a tonne of variations and it's user friendly. I also have a book on Amish crib quilts if you want to borrow it.

Samantha said...

Ah yes, cluster feeding. Those are tiring days. :) Enjoy them though, they won't last forever.

Cin said...

Wow, that's really ambitious! Best of luck to you with the quilting! I really want to try that some day too. Let me know how it goes! I have a lovely sewing machine that needs a challenge...

Cin

Dani said...

I bought "the idiots guide to quilting" and did a rail fence quilt I did two actually - they are here:

http://www.danimiller.com/KSC/Mar2007/Mar2007.htm
http://www.danimiller.com/KSC/Apr2007/Apr2007.htm

both at the bottom of the page. There are some great rail fence instructions if you google it. Here is a video:

http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/cr_needlework_other/article/0,,HGTV_3265_1383268,00.html

If you want any other suggestions give me an email!

Dani

Peggy said...

Fenner is cute!

You can cut squares/rectangles and piece them together. It sounds simple but the result is great. Another benefit is that you can custom choose fat quarters or 0.2-0.5m of fabric i.e. any combination of colors/patterns of your choice.

Here's a blog where I found inspiration:
http://yarnstorm.blogs.com/knitblog/quilts/index.html

Last minute patchwork and quilted gifts is also great.

Hope this helps!

helga said...

hi, dear jen,
it was lovely to see you tonight.
AND your beautiful little jenner.
what a brave baby to face all these
strange women.
take care.

aviva said...

we kind of missed the boat this week, eh? should we make a date for next week? dim sum?

Chartron said...

if you think 'cluster feeding' is exhausting, you should try the 'rabbit' ;-)