Thursday, October 18, 2007

She's a pounder that one

I placed a lot of importance on a lot of unimportant skillsets when I was growing up. One of the skills I had that I thought was super awesome was my ability to drink enormous quantities of both beer and hard liquor.

This sad superpower was made stronger by the year I spent living in Belgium where learning how to drink responsibly consisted of learning how to pour a proper draft at voetball fundraising events for the village team I played on. Let me just say that I could drink an out of work miner under the table when I got back to the land of Molson.

In retrospect, this was not so much a skill as an indication of an addictive personality and I'm certainly not proud of a lot the behaviours that I engaged in when I was 19. We're all lucky that I had great parents without whom I would not have gotten through those years as healthy as I am today.

Having said all that, I just did two shots of Fierce Grape Gatorade/ Castor Oil (recipe my own) with 2 ounce chasers of Diet Coke and didn't taste a thing. But *boy* do I feel fierce now!

I have compiled a list of all of the negotiating tools J and I have used to convince le Pork Bun to come out. Castor Oil is the Pitocin of the home birth world. I'm not super excited that it's come to this and have seriously debated it for the past week with Jason. I'll write more about my thoughts when I'm not a ticking time bomb of laxative.

15 comments:

Craftygrrrl said...

Oh Dude! My thoughts are SO with you!

Not An Artist said...

I'm telling you: Saturday is the day.

Kim said...

Flashbacks to my Quebecois-nurse of a grandmother chasing me with the castor oil... ((shudder))

Iris said...

Hey Jen - I agree with 'not an artist' - you will have the baby by Sat. Thoughts that labour could start tonight or tomorrow. Castor oil is a waste of time and energy IMHO.

megan said...

keep us posted..and i mean at least twice a day!

helga said...

hey jen
sending you lots of good wishes!
hoping that the dreaded CO has not a too violent effect.

Kim said...

Ahh castor oil! I used that trick too. Hope it works for you!

Emily said...

Fingers crossed -- there *will* be a baby soon. Baby baby bayb.

Emily said...

baby, I mean. Some late nights with ours this week. Oof.

Honestly said...

Leave that baby alone! I so desperately wanted my baby to come out, more being annoyed by the daily phone calls "did the baby come yet!"... so I went to the midwives and had them pinch something up there. The baby came soon after that. Looking back now, I would just let nature take its course.
Besides, Castor Oil taste nasty, and doesn't always work. When it does work it causes the contractions to be agressive!
"overdue" babies are cuter, smarter, better latchers, happier, better night sleepers...yes this is personal observation coming from a mother of an "overdue" baby, but you'll see for yourself that this info. is correct.
Enjoy these last few days with your man friend/husband ...because when labour pains hit you, you WILL have him in a headlock, and these midwives that you love so much now... during labour you WILL get the urge to tell them to F*off when they want to rub your back or while they try to "tame" you. Not trying to scare you, but you're in for a rollercoaster ride and it's no fun! ..that is until the baby gets here, then you'll be in a bliss like no other. You'll feel love like you've never felt before.
Good luck.

Lorraine said...

Glad to hear the antics of teenagedom are paying off now. Good luck sparkly!! I'm cheering for you over here in Leslieville! Sending you comfy vibes. xo L:

Samantha said...

Yuck. I hope it works for you. {{{hugs}}}

Sandi Purl said...

talk about shooters! sheesh! tak'er easy sister-friend. thinkin' bout u lots, sending peaceful vibes. xo

aviva said...

resisting the urge to call you every day, and now, every hour. i... will... not... call...
but i agree with megan, please update often!

Elizabeth said...

Mooshka, if you want your faux jewish aunt to take you on wonderful adventures you must come out and play. We have big things to do together!

Everyone is piping in. I thought I would too and I, like Aviva am finding it difficult to not stalk.