Sunday, October 07, 2007

Meanwhile inside the fibre trunk....

Since Lorraine was able to get me up and running on my new/old, as yet unnamed wheel, I decided to take the opportunity to look at blending and combing using the remnants of a bunch of different fleece artist merino fleeces. Then spinning it up on the new wheel. What better way to distract myself from other unfinished objects....

These came my way via thrummed mitten kits and from friends that had started handspindling them. The green is some Corriedale I'd picked up from Romni. The rest is a combo of merino and blue faces leicester fleece from Fleece Artist. I chose the pink purple, the bruise purple and the bright pink to play with. I had the image of a sunset fading to dark in my mind but having rarely spent time with combs never mind blending, I entered into the experience with no expectations.
It took a couple of goes before I got any semblance of a rhythmn down and I'm still trying to get the art of even blending down. The Joy of Handspinning website is a boon for folks like me who need visual teaching aids. I found the section on rolags particularly helpful. Once I finish about 6 rolags I spin them up since I'm doing them in groups of six with no real recipe for getting the colourways, there is quite a variation from rolag to rolag once they're spun up. Having said that, the overall colour scheme really does make me think of the last of a sunset in Northern Ontario.The wheel itself took a bit of getting used to but I'm amazed at how quickly she and I built up an understanding. I treadle slowly and she will still send twist my way at an astonishing rate. Lorraine explained it to me but most of the information seemed to escape me....something about wheel to flyer ratio??

No matter, I'm getting quite a bit of fluff prep and spinning done in the morning. I've been dreaming about doing a yoke sweater. With the sunset blend and some beautiful prizewinning Icelandic Ewe fleece I need to prep from last year's Royal Winter Fair. I haven't picked the design yet there's a lot out there....any suggestions?

On the topic of other tardy topics. Look what the generous and talented Jacquie gave us for the offspring. Am looking forward to doing a reprise of this picture...for her.

2 comments:

Lorraine said...

Yummy sunset. Glad the wheel is behaving. Good luck sunshine!!! xoxox

aviva said...

Thinking of you darling. I mean, you could be in labour as I write this. Who knows. But I'll refrain from calling you every day...