Sunday, September 30, 2007

Luxuries...

Tonight I enjoyed the luxury of having the silent, clean, dark house to myself.

My partner in crime and home to my heart was out with his community of comedians before putting up his show. Enriching his life with the people that inspire him most in all of the ways that I could only dream of.

Our extremely thoughtful baby allowing us the luxury of one more day that we can think of only ourselves and meeting our own needs. I can't remember the last time I spent 2 hours lying in bed reading a book that I couldn't put down if I tried.

Then sobbing for almost an hour at the end of it because the protagonist reached the end of her rich, painful, full life naturally and without anger. The Red Tent. The luxury of female companionship. The luxury of a good cathartic cry without having to explain why or apologetically invading someone else's emotional comfort zone.

Oh hormones how I love you and the tension release you enable.

Tomorrow is the first weekday that we are not working and we are both looking forward to the time we have in our home - writing, spinning, knitting, reading....kicking each other's asses in cribbage. Oh yeah....it's on!

I'm trying to tattoo this amazing guilt free feeling of nesting where we are not only allowed but expected to take the best care of ourselves possible to prepare for our new life as a family. How often do we let ourselves do this? Not enough.

5 comments:

aviva said...

What an inspiring post Jen. I agree that the Red Tent was a great great book. If you're up for lunch. If not, I'll invade your house (briefly) after the baby comes!!!

Stephanie said...

The Red Tent was one of my favourites of all time...
Required reading for women.

(Enjoy the time off. It shall not pass this way again.)

Sandi Purl said...

oh the red tent. one of my all-time faves! i balled too. i'm trying to find it en espaƱol for my mama. speaking of mama's, enjoy the nesting, relish it and yes tattoo it on your arse!

alyson said...

Enjoy your time, the craziness is about to begin (you will very quickly stop feeling any guilt about this time you have)! ENJOY. I'm thinking of you daily and sending big hugs your way. I'll have to check out the Red Tent. Hormones still abound.....

Samantha said...

I now feel the need to go buy that book ...

Enjoy your time.