Monday, September 17, 2007

Like being chosen for Dodgeball only better

Ever since I started working from home I've gotten to know some of the folks that work in my neighborhood that I wouldn't see if I worked in an office. Tho folks that come by during business hours. This includes the mail lady (good luck on that audition!) and the Postal guy who delivers packages.


It came out that I spin when I paid for some fleece from Lindenhoff and that led to me knowing that he collects antique clocks. Names have never been formally exchanged nor has the conversation deepened beyond hobbies and weather.


After a long day of seeing clients on Friday I came home and found this note tucked in my door.Whaaaaaaat? Where on Jones at Gerrard? What could it mean? How could I resist? So I packed up my drunken knitting projects (am having a bad time with decision making right now) and off I wandered off to see where this note would lead me.


To facillitate a trip out of my pregnant slow way the Fates sent a streetcar to greet me at every intersection to bring me to the corner of Gerrard and Jones. I decided to walk south on Jones for 5 minutes and if I didn't see anything I would head north for 5 minutes and catch a bus to the subway.

I didn't have to walk far because I saw this from the streetcar stop:Why hello my pretty! I checked her out as the storm clouds started to gather - the owner came out with the flyer and the bobbins that fit like a dream. She was only missing her drive band to make her operational. This is stamped on her underside - does anyone recognize the stamp? I couldn't find anything online....Lorraine? A. Colbeck? Anyone?The owner, noting my gargantuan huffing (am out of breath alla time now) delicate condition offered to deliver her to my home for free - I could pay him then. The Jones bus came as I arrived at the bus stop and I got to Drunken Knitters in tons of time to see my long lost friend Tanya.

The next day he came with my pretty wheel and these surprise delightful accessories! A set of, stamped, well loved handcarders made by Leclerc, a small lock comb and a wicked cool old school carding wheel from Louet! Meet the newest members of my family! I've heard a lot of stories from artists of how wheels and looms have found their ways to the possession of the artist but have never really experienced it.

Does anyone have any hints on how I can thank my Postal Person who went out of his way to deliver this news? As a special treat - a new picture of us at 36 weeks. It makes me laugh

11 comments:

Kim said...

Now THAT'S a great surprise to come home to! Can't wait to hear what you find out about the wheel.

Love the last photo.

Lorraine said...

Wow! I don't know much about that maker but I'm sure someone does. Will cast about. How exciting! Having resusitated an antique wheel a few years ago, I do declare it's a wonderful thing.

You are looking mighty fine. I'm still having porch fantasies. I'm also in Montreal right now. Le sigh. Hope I get to see you pre-hatching! And post as well of course...

Deana said...

Moments like that make one feel like everything in the world is good and right! Awesome postman. Cookies or a nice drink sitting out for him when he comes by would most likely be very nice. Or whip him up something off of it for Christmas. (Or is it just a US thing that we are 'supposed' to tip our mailman at christmas?)

Jillian said...

That's so cool how you ended up with a wheel. And I LOVE the picture. I would definitley make him some cookies. Or buy some and pretend you made them...

Rachel H said...

Sigh. Why doesn't stuff like that ever happen to me?

I'll check my Canadian spinning wheel book for the name. Too freakin' cool that it's actually got a maker's stamp.

Jealous. Love you oodles, but so, so jealous.

Sandi Purl said...

how cool is that!? maybe you'll let me touch it some day? lovin' that last pic. too hilarious!

Dr. Steph said...

I'm with Rachel H. Lucky chickie.

Love your 36 week photo. It screams Gargalor!

gillian said...

Jen- what a fantastic story! And Hi by the way. And Congrats, by the way!! Imagine my surprise when in a "your chocolate fell in my peanut butter" moment I was searching for knitting just after looking for something from the wadge, and your grade 10 photo popped up on my screen (still have my own personalized copy). Of course I had to find out what it all meant! How are you???
gillianbabe@hotmail.com

Carol said...

How lucky is that???? And I looooove the last photo. What a great variation on the classic "baby bump" picture...

Lorena said...

Fantastic-- both the story, and that great photo. What a thoughtful, perfect postal person. Does he walk a lot in the cold? Maybe a handspun, handknitted hat for the holidays...? :-) Perfect story, just... perfect. Lucky you!

Tracey, in MI said...

comfy felted clogs or hand knit socks...

That is amazing.. but i'm thinking- he could see a wheel on the horizon... and didn't want to have to deliver it!

;)