Monday, June 18, 2007

Getting the stink off ya': A How To Guide

Get out of the city. Go canoe tripping with your sisters. Flex your muscles and enjoy the sun.

Enjoy the clean air, big sky and fresh water of the lake - be the only campers on the lake at the time for extra "good for the soul" points.

Knit. Outside. By the fire.

Appreciate the little things and the place they hold in the larger picture

Learn from nature...especially when it comes to keeping the damned horse flies off your back.

What a great weekend. A short paddle, portage and paddle again and we felt like we were in the middle of nowhere. Mother Nature even provided a short rainstorm in the middle of night that cleared up exactly as we were thinking that it was time to break camp. The sound of rain on a tent is the perfect sound to sleep to.

This is how J restored his soul this weekend. I love that book. What books would you recommend to someone who is stepping up to be your birth partner?

11 comments:

Jillian said...

I'm glad I'm not the only person who uses that expression! Looks like you had a lovely trip.

krista said...

Awesome. I loved those pics.

Jen, I am a disorganized nightmare, please send me your digits again?

meghan said...

Oh, those camping pictures make my teeth hurt I want to be there so bad! It looks like you guys had a great girly toughin' it time.

A book I would recommend to both you and J, is The Complete Book of Pregnancy and Childbirth by Sheila Kitzinger. It's dated (be warned) but full of fantastic stuff, by far the best getting us ready book that we read.

p.s: you are looking so glowy and beautiful, I love it!!!

Kim said...

What a great trip! I love knitting by a campfire. I would recommend Spiritual Midwifery. I forget the author, but it's a classic. Very crunchy, hippie, granola, but this is the only book I remember thinking about and using during labor. That surprised me. Plus the naked hippie photos are a laugh riot.

denny dyes on the campfire mcmillan said...

mmmmmm campfire smoke smelly knitting.


please put it in a zip-lock and let me smell it on Wed.


let me smell your yarnn. hi there Big J

denny Mcmillan said...

7 shawls you in????

alyson said...

Ian Davis "My Boys Can Swim - The offical guy's guide to pregnancy"..........A real page turner! Leave it to me to post a serious "how to" for you guys. It made both of us laugh - a friend at work lent it to us. Gotta have some fun in amongst the learning!
Can't wait to be up there for some canoeing fun!

Dr. Steph said...

Great pictures--I need some nature now.

Craig didn't read any books--he just went to the birth classes and did a lot of hand holding (and snow shovelling).

Tracey, in MI said...

ok the wheel in the BOAT! You're making me nervous.

However I alway take mine camping. Although my friiends think I'm absolutely nuts... will be pointing them here---- just to prove I'm not quite the most crazy....;)

ps we have a fire pit thing in our backyard we pretend we're camping.. and yes I knti in the dark.

Lorraine said...

Thanks for taking us on your trip!! Very inspiring.

Glad you're feeling better. Hope we can fit in another porcheration before the summer gets too nutty...

Hi Denny!!!

Dame Wendy said...

I'm so jealous!! That looks like it was just beautiful!

I definitely need to get out of this city sometime soon.