Friday, April 06, 2007

The last box.

I unpacked the last box of my singledom today in a rushed attempt to get my house somewhat presentable for a crafting date today. Though there was very little crafting done, more just chatting and coffee drinking.

Anyway, this box was packed in Halifax over 6 or 7 years ago when I moved back to Toronto from Halifax. Back then I tended towards the "up in the grill of the man" type of feminist and bi-sexual. If it made folks uncomfortable then it was clearly the way for me to go. When this phase...evolved to a less maniacal feminism my mom breathed a sigh of relief and there was hope for our relationship.

I've been putting off unpacking this box for YEARS. Jason has pulled it out a couple of times and without pressure, gently asked me if I was ever going to unpack it. Maybe it was a subconscious way for me to keep the door to my life as a single and swinging urban professional open.

My time in Halifax was and will become a forbidden luxury for me. I had my own apartment for the first time ever - my own space with no roommate. I crafted (ukrainian eggs, paper mache, bad knitting), I cooked for the university students my sister would bring over, and I would while drinking red wine alone watch Seventh Heaven a terrible terrible Reform Party funded television show.

These activities won't happen the same way if ever again.

This is what I found in the box:

- jars of dye used to make Ukrainian Easter eggs. Clearly some egg got into a couple of jars - the horror, the horror
- An old tv antennae
- A sock
- A GREAT ratchet set (My girlfriend Lynn told me that a single woman should always have a drill and a black lace bra and know how to use both, I took this advice very seriously
- some sketch books and homemade paper
- This classic book for the labia lovers, the bi-curious or the beginner lesbian. Ah, those were good times.

7 comments:

Lee Ann said...

Sigh. Tee Corinne passed away in August this year, of cancer. If anyone knew how to use a drill and a bra, it would be her.

Did you knit the sock?

Craftygrrrl said...

I love that book as well as my copy of Our Bodies, Ourselves (New and updated for teh 90's!!!) which concidentally got me tagged as both a Lesbean (gotta love small town pronounciation) and a slut...And people wonder why I never went to the class reunion?!

Stephannie said...

So this is why you've been so freaked by our recent discussions. You must bring that book in.

Am I becoming obsessed with vaginas?

Yvette said...

Happy belated blogversary. And I like the new colours and header bar!
Don't mourn the singledom too much.
Your powers have not diminished, but have strengthened. You totally rock.

Tania Little said...

OK, so I love the colouring book - and laughed hysterically when I saw it. As a bi-womyn, I never new such a fab book existed...back in the days prior to monongamy with a boy. *Sigh* Womyn and vaginas are pretty amazing.

Erin said...

i want that book, if only as a conversation starter. like, oh OOPS look what fell out of my purse!

3 weeks jen. 3 weeks. you're inviting ME over for crafting. i promise to provide snacks (blizzards?!?) and will not steal your book.

Lorraine said...

You are a constant inspiration. I'm glad you started writing too by the way.

PS I thought the Easter bunny WAS God. What are you implying here?