Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Secret Admirer

The only roses I ever got were from a secret admirer in high school.

I was at Manitouwadge High School, the only game in town. I went to my locker in between gym class, where the teacher was hyper focussed on my fat content and English, where the teacher was afraid of my mother and gave me all A's and squished between my gym gear and my books were a dozen roses.

I am a late bloomer, very late bloomer. This was the year that I had a piece of carrot stuck in my braces in my high school picture. I had enormous, ,thick glasses and my nickname was Scuba. When I wasn't doing pyrotechnics with my aerosol hairspray, guess where I was putting it...

These flowers were very clearly supposed to be in the locker next to mine. I read the card to find out who they were for and was *shocked* to find out they were for me. Then I read the note:

"Have you ever danced with the devil in the pale moonlight?"

I was so creeped out that I held on to my panties until I was 19 yrs old. I was a barren, spinster, lesbian by Manitouwadge standards.

Thus began my magnetic hold on the world's computer nerd and movie geek population.

12 comments:

Lorelei said...

That brought a tear to my eye. :)

Dr. Steph said...

But look at the smart sassy awesome woman you've become!

There's nothing wrong with geeks and nerds: they love you, they make good money and they know a lot about certain stuff. I've been happily married to my game geek for 12 years!

Lorraine said...

High school is a cruel, cruel world. Being a spinster early on clearly set the stage for your blossoming brilliance.

Okay you know I need to hi-jack your comments section--thanks for humouring me... Here goes:

Denny! Denny!! I fixed my loom! I channelled you and I fixed it and it works and I can weave again! I'd still like to see you before you go to Oz but if I don't, have an AWESOME trip. xoL:

loulou said...

Isn't that line from a Batman movie? I have visions of the Joker saying it...

I got roses once in high school, but the babies breath it came with was going bad- made them smell yucky. Ah well, it's the thought that counts, right?

tapeheads said...

Joe says it's something he might have done at the time. Movie geeks have no sense of the appropriate.

Maria said...

I also thought it was from Batman. I'll go with Loulou on this one.

The Silent K said...

that just made my day.

i'm SO buying you roses.

Julia said...

You brave soul, posting a high school photo! I was tres embarrassed to find one on my sister's desk over the holidays, but thankfully it's on her home office desk. But you're much braver than me....brava!

(PS-gotta love high school boys, using Batman movie quotes to get a girl...)

Jillian said...

That picture is the best ever. Remind me sometime to dig out a picture of me with super short hair, awful glasses and a tail. Miss you.

Lorraine said...

I bet if you lined up all of our highschool photos (my fave is the one where I missed photo day so I had to go to "alternate photo day" extra early, eyes all puffy with sleep, braces a-sparkling...) you would rank among the most gorgeous. Manitouwadge was lucky to have you.

Anonymous said...

Honey babe,
I think we had the same glasses.

I was even more scary in high school, 'cept I was a bit of a slut - but not with anyone from the school. I was Secret Slut!

Ny photo was almost exactly the same, except add in a Native nose and a blonde, natural 'fro. (shudder)
Leslie

Brenda said...

de-lurking to say great post! but the question is: did you ever find out who it was?