Wednesday, January 10, 2007

No Armageddon For You.

I am an armageddon freak. After watching The Day After Tomorrow, Idiocracy, Dawn of the Dead, Shaun of the Dead, and of course Mars Attacks among many others, it became clear that it's not the cinematography, writing or talent that draws me to these movies. It's my obsession with the technique of Survival that keeps me coming back.

My dreams after watching any armageddon movie involve a post-apocalyptic landscape in which I would be fighting my way with my Addi Turbos through the throngs of rotting zombie corpses to meet my Manboy at our designated meeting spot. The water filter strapped to my body, small bottle of aspirin in the first aid kit (if the zombies don't get you the fever will) and some high calorie granola to ration out on our journey.

Our bikes would be primed to get out of the city quick to the safety of the land North of Lake Superior. Why there? Because there are *maybe* 24 people that live between Sault Ste. Marie and Thunder Bay and one of those people is my orthodontist who can't possibly still be alive. It's also very pretty.

This is why I'm obsessed with watching Children of Men. Combine armageddon with reproductive freedom and maybe, dare to dream, feminist theory?! The potential for the best armageddon movie yet is enormous. Be still my nerdy heart...

Has anyone seen this yet?

6 comments:

Carol said...

Haven't seen the movie yet, but if you want Armageddon-type stories, try reading the book by S.M.Stirling called "Dies the Fire". It's the first of a 3 part series and I found it to be one of those can't-put-it-down books!

canknitian said...

Haven't seen it yet, but I want to. SO badly.

bozena said...

Love this post! My boyfriend and I have discussed what we would do in this situation a few times. I'm a big advocate of going to the mall because there's so many different beds I could sleep in, but he says that probably wouldn't be the safest place. I never thought of going somewhere remote, but that's a really good idea! Armaggedon is a very interesting thing to talk about. Kyle said he'd be concerned mostly about safety and securing a safe place whereas I'd be concerned about gathering up all the animals.

Have you ever googled "SHTF" or "WSHTF". Its interesting to read about WSHTF theories and peoples' survival stratagies. Some people take it extremely seriously, so much so that they have their survival gear packed and waiting at their front door just in case.

Jeff in East York said...

See this Movie....great film...they are some crazy long shots (No cutaways just one camera following the action), including one during a massive battle scene, it is one of the most incredible things I have ever seen in a movie. To boot it’s a wicked story, and well acted (Michael Caine as a aging stoner, Brilliant!). You’ll come for the Armageddon but you will stay for the writing, acting and cinematography.

Then, read the book. The book is the same idea (Women can't reproduce) but has a way different way of unfolding (some characters play a more important role), and gets the little things that the movie can't really tell without becoming a 4 hour snooze fest. You can pretty much read the book and see the movie in any order, and not have many plot points wrecked and enjoy both.

Then see the movie again. By far, the best movie I’ve seen this year (ok, the only one I’ve seen, the year is only like 10 days old)

Craftygrrrl said...

Saw the movie, Loved it although I felt like I had been punched in the gut afterwards.

The Brits can really rock/nail the police state concept...must still be left over trauma from Thatcher.

Get this one of the barely into their 20's girls I work with tried to tell me that Thatcher wasn't all that bad and that we are overly critical of her!

Anonymous said...

My sister. I LOVE the armaggedon-type movies, books etc. LOVE THEM.

I will definitely be going to see this, its really just a question of fitting it in to my mad schedule for the next few weeks...