Thursday, January 11, 2007

Mission Control. We have a problem

Almost two years ago I knit my first pattern - the now ubiquitous Clapotis. I chose my first "luxury" yarn to knit with this - 5 skeins of Koigu KPPPM. It is my favourite garment. I wear it through the fall, winter and spring. I use the large scarf as a shawl for cool summer evenings. It is beautiful.
Today I found three dropped stitches that had come apart - the yarn was thrice broken. The world spun as I examined the "situation" closely and watch as three stitches unzipped right before my breathless flushed face. Impossible! I love this wrap, I treat it with love and nothing less than adoration - how can this be?

The horror. The horror. My options as I see them:

1. Salvage the precious Koigu of which there is enough to knit almost anything and grieve the death of my Clap.

2. Tie knots in the yarn to prevent further runnage and block out the problem area in my psyche.

3. Continue to not touch the scarf for fear of further damage - thus having beautiful but useless decoration on my desk.

Is there any other way to make this go away? Recommendations would be GREATLY appreciated.

9 comments:

canknitian said...

Ooh! Ooh! Number two!

Anything else would be cruel.

Yvette said...

Tie knots!! Entirely forgiveable under the circumstances.

Leslie - knitting therapist said...

Jen baby, just tie the knots and go on. The Jelly Birch has two knots in it and you would never know, my Charlotte has one too. It's not a crime, it's life!
It's okay! (hug, pat, pat)

Craftygrrrl said...

Tie knots.

Four out of four knitters agree so there you have it.

Lynne aka witchypoo said...

Make it unanimous - tie the knots.

Anonymous said...

Oh what I could say about grieving Clap--just too easy!
See you Tuesday.
Jano

Kim P said...

I am 3/4 way done with my first Clapotis (using Malabrigo worsted in Verde esperanza colorway) and already I am so in love with this knit! I am paranoid what happened to you will happen to me. Tie the knots and keep loving clappy. To unravel and knit something else would be too painful, I think. #3 is just not a viable option.

Anonymous said...

holy shy-za!!

it was your gorgeous clap that inspired mine!

knot 'er up -- fo sho!

Vivienne said...

It's the dropped stitch ladders that broke? Is there any way you could, um, felt the ends together instead of knotting? Just a crazy thought....

I'm having Clapotis (aka Rhino) woes of my own. Suffice to say that I will not be satisfied unless I can cover a wildebeaste with this thing, so I have to go back now and make it wider. Oh well...looks like I'll be able to finally debut this thing (started in February 2004) this coming fall. :P