Monday, January 22, 2007

Last night I got the call.

The call that no one ever in a million years wants to get. I pick up the phone and all I hear are the heart wrenching heaving sobs of my youngest sister as she wetly spits out the words. "There's been an accident."

My heart leaps immediately to my upper sinus region and the world tilts just the way it would as though it were dumping out everything you love in the world on the floor. I say calmly and gently with all my skin tingling, bracing myself for the worst - Take a deep breath in and let it out slowly. Do it again. Tell me what happened.

My most beautiful, precious, brilliant sister was in a car accident in Peterborough while driving her girlfriends home from a reunion weekend in Ottawa (thank god it wasn't the 401). No one was hurt (my skin stopped tingling a little bit just a bit). The car was totalled and the van carrying the rushing mother, her 11 year old son and her husband through the yellow light....well I don't know about the van but everyone walked away.

I wanted to get a Zipcar and drive to Peterborough to save her from the heartless cold-hearted policewoman who took her statement when she was in shock and couldn't remember what happened. Wrap her in a hand knit blanket and palpate her abdomen to confirm that there was no internal bleeding.

Instead, I waited until her bus got to Toronto and she walked through the door to snuggle her and tuck her into bed. By the time she got here she was warm and had moved out of shock to exhausted clarity.

When I talked with her this morning she had corralled the insurance agent, corrected her statement with the police and filled mom and dad in on the details. What a powerhouse!

Am exhausted and questioning whether or not I have it in me to raise offspring without wrapping them in tissue paper to protect them from the unpredictable dangers of the world.

10 comments:

Lorraine said...

Oh my god. How horrible. I'm so glad everyone walked away. Still very very upsetting, scary, icky. My skin is still crawling from reading. Sending you and your sister a big huge hug. Take care!!!!!

Dr. Steph said...

Yikes, how awful. I hope you're both better soon. Even if you're sister isn't hurt physically, she must be pretty spooked about the whole thing.

Anonymous said...

Dealt with the police, dealt with the rental agency, dealt with the dealership and the auto shop, dealth with the insurance and yet...I still can't manage to get dressed and teeth brushed before 4:25pm.

Craftygrrrl said...

I'm very happy to hear that everyone is safe, shitty as the experience is.

Rachel H said...

I'm so glad she's ok. And even more that she has her loving big sister to turn to. Your future offspring are very lucky. But if they're so embarrassed by the crinkling sound the tissue paper makes while they're walking they refuse to acknowledge you in public after the age of 8, don't say I didn't warn ya.

Anonymous said...

SO glad she's OK and that she had you to come home to. Take good care of both of you.

Sophia said...

Good to hear that she's okay - hope you're okay too.

Martina said...

I'm so glad she is ok! What a scare! I agree, your future offspring will be lucky to have such a caring parent.

Kathleen said...

Oh, my heart stopped for a moment there for you. I'm so glad she is okay.

aviva said...

Give Liz a big hug for me. I'm glad she's ok.