Thursday, December 14, 2006

I'll take some weird, shaken not stirred.

Alrighty Steph you're about to know too much about me and it's your own fault:

THE RULES:Each player of this game starts with the ‘6 weird things about you.’ People who get tagged need to write a blog of their own 6 weird things as well as state this rule clearly. In the end, you need to choose 6 people to be tagged and list their names. Don’t forget to leave a comment that says ‘you are tagged’ in their comments and tell them to read your blog.”

1. You know how cats have a spot where their tails meet their spine that makes them lick their chests, freeze in position or generally wig out? I have a spot on my sacrum that when you scratch it it makes me need to pee. I blame getting a tattoo and take every opportunity to tell wayward teenagers that this is what happens when you get skin art. Does this happen to you Mel?

2. I am addicted to touch. This often gets me classified with the perverts in the park so I try and restrict my love of hugs and demonstrations of physical affection to those who are comfortable with me and hugs. As someone who works in IT I'm starved for touch - Jason loves it.

3. Stagefright. I suffer from it when I meet new people and when I do comedy. Like anything that terrifies me the only way I know to deal with it is by overcompensating. This means that people often think I'm very funny and charming when they first meet me. Good first impression but the daily Jen is often low key and grumpy. Don't say I didn't warn you.

4. I'm obsessive compulsive about knitting. I need to have 1 sweater, 1 lace project, 1 blanket, 1 plain pair of socks and one fancy pair of socks on the go at all times. I also don't like it when my stash gets uncontainable as when faced with too much choice I become immobilized by the options. This among many reasons is why I don't eat at all you can eat buffets.

5. ABC - always be closing. I love to start projects, work related, knitting related, home related, it doesn't matter I love the thrill of the start pistol. Closing is hard. I have to work at it everytime. Knitting has really helped with this and even then there is usually one end that doesn't get tucked or one seam that doesn't quite stick.

6. My biggest fear is that I have nothing original to offer. It's probably true, I'm not all that and a bag of crisps so I try and rephrase or retool euphemisms or concepts so that they sound original but they often come out as offensive.

As a timely example: The consumerism of Christmas - it gets us all down, every year the same conversations occur, expensive gifts, unattainable expectations and the fear that if the perfect gift doesn't get purchased that we will have ruined the holidays etc.

I've been trying to frame the panic this year with this response to people asking how my shopping is going: "I think I've almost spent enough money to ensure Jesus gets born this year thus ensuring that Christmas can indeed come. Thank god"

I can't count the number of people I've offended with this, but it really puts it into perspective for me.

Tagged: Jill, Mel, Jason (yeah THAT one), Kelly, Erin(Just to see if she'll come back to blogland), Sophie

2 comments:

Jill said...

I wasn't offended by your Christmas shopping expression! And I put 6 things up on my blog.

Dr. Steph said...

Sheesh, you're just normal like the rest of us. Well, maybe I shouldn't put myself in there.

And I love love love your line about Christmas. Craig has mentioned that really, we should just take the Christ out of Christmas so we can all get mess up over the holidays. Besides, he takes up too much space when there's drinking and shopping to be done!