Friday, November 24, 2006

Dancing like a monkey

I will do and say pretty much anything for a laugh or for just a shnickle of shock value. Rachel H, consider this a warning...my lips are coming for a play date with yours at the next SnB.

After close to 25 years of desperately needing affirmation and love from anyone in a 5 foot radius of me talking I realized that maybe I should consider comedy as an outlet. I found another demographic of my people in Toronto's comedy community. So funny, oh my god, the laughter that's available is endless.

My training started at Second City Training Centre and continued at the Bad Dog Theatre. I've taken a 2 year hiatus and am quite scared to go back. You see improv comedy is like a language and unless you use it regularly you'll lose the ability to speak it.

I'm doing a show tonight for the first time in years and have been going over the comedy equivalent of verb conjugations for two days. Needless to say, I'm impressed that I didn't get fired for the constant jokery at the office.

If tonight doesn't make me want to gouge my own eyes out in self-loathing and horror, I'll let y'all know the next show so the knitters can represent yo!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

O, how exciting! Good luck Yennifer!

Jean-Anne said...

GOOD LUCK!!! May the force be with you!! At all cost have fun!! I would love to see you perform.

Lorraine said...

Break a leg!! You are brilliant. L:

Melanie said...

Yes, good luck!

loulou said...

I'm sure you'll shake the house! Have a great time :-)

Anonymous said...

I think that comedy is one of the scariest activities that a human can engage in, right up there with military combat and getting a colon exam. I wish you much success in your career!

Rachel H said...

I'm certain you're being absolutely fabulous tonight. That not withstanding, I'm pretty sure my lips will be staying in their repressed little corner at the next SnB...

krista said...

I can't wait to hear about it!

Anonymous said...

Cheating on me already! Hussy!
Leslie - scorned knitting therapist