Wednesday, November 01, 2006

and Bacchus was afraid.

A long time ago, in a galaxy far far away I had the good luck to find two very different women to live with in Montreal.

One of these women could not be further away from me on the personality scale. As much as I was an obnoxious, farting, bi-curious, debaucherous beast that Bacchus would deplore, my friend Marta was the ethereal, contemplative, cosmopoliton, spiritual, meditative opposite.

What is truly amazing is that not only did all three of us remain friends throughout the 2 years we lived together but that we remain friends long into finding lives outside of university. Marta now lives in Poland and is doing her Ph.D on (I could be getting this not quite right) migrant workers in Poland and Ukraine (and the world actually).

Even though Marta has lived in Europe since we all graduated we've kept in touch and she's even made the trip back to visit (thank god she has family in BC) a couple of times.

Lots has changed in all of our lives since the days of McGill and yet in the two times Marta has visited in 9 years she has gained enough of a sense of who I am today to send me this out of the blue.

In case you can't see the ball bands - It's angora and llama/alpaca blend FROM POLAND AND UKRAINE!

The cutest postcard I've ever seen reads along the lines of: I found this soft wool in the Ukraine when I was on a trip and this other soft stuff in Poland...I hope you can find something to make with these colours. (am already into a project)

That this woman could stand me enough to share rent in university is one thing. But that Marta thought of sending me wool...just cause she saw it in the Ukraine and Poland makes me glow with the blush of a well loved friend.

Not only did the brilliant Marta send me wool but this package came just in the nick of time. I was trapped in a cotton washcloth vortex that would have had the house covered in another week thus smothering my cat and my Manboy.

4 comments:

Rachel H said...

Holy cool package, Batman! But Jennifer, my darling, my dear one, my own, you whom I have missed terribly and too long not seen; take the damn washcloths off the cat. There's bad Karma associated with that action.

Martina said...

Isn't it just the best when realize again that your friends really like you? I mean really, really like, nay, love you! Awesome package!

denny Mcmillan said...

You are loved

elfstar said...

You have one of the most compelling blog titles on the NaBloPoMo site. Good luck and all that.