Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Blow it out your hole!

While we were in Cheticamp, Cape Breton we threw caution to the wind and decided to go whale watching. In a Zodiac. It sounded pretty exciting but I wasn't really expecting to see any ancient mammals and in fact had quite accepted the fact it would be a nice bouncy ocean trip on a hot sunny day.


I like to submit this as my example of extreme knitting. The suits we are wearing are emergency insulated flotation suits...FULL BODY FLOTATION devices. I love emergency gear - there are so many pockets you can put...your knitting. I finished the leg of the sock on this trip.

There was a lot watching and waiting until you see the blow - then it's time to play Hunt for the Red October!

The next while is spent following the group of Fin Whales. If I didn't have a Napoleonic Complex before I saw these bad boys I do now. They were ginormous and just exuded gentle fish eating beauty - what I wouldn't do to have one as a pet.

I didn't realize it at the time but the Manboy was getting busy with the camera at one of the points that we were beside these guys. Fin Whales don't really travel in pods they just hook up here and there to kvetch once in a while.

11 comments:

Kathleen said...

Wow.

Martina said...

Far out! In a Zodiak you say!! Yikes!

Not An Artist said...

Jen, I think this officially qualifies you as the most hardcore knitter I know!! You should start an X-TREME KNITALONG or something ;)

mjm knitting said...

Cheticamp.....I loved Cheticamp when I was there a few years ago. Don't know where you stayed but I spent a couple days at Germaine's Bed and Breakfast and absolutely loved the hosts. They were so sweet. Amazing sunsets in Cheticamp.

Yvette said...

Gorgeous! (jealous...)

Lorraine said...

Do you have any idea how much I love whales? Thanks for this little vignette. Made my day. Happy belated anniversary by the way. I love the idea of the state of your house. No roaming hairballs? What's that like?

denny Mcmillan said...

One time took my little gem spinning wheel on a Zodiak to flowerpot island.You too could be a hardcore spinner, just sayn'. luv dennyx0x0x0

Jen said...

DENNY! i'm gonna be a hardcore spinner as soon as my alpaca gets here....

denny Mcmillan said...

You need a spinning wheel to be hardcore. Just sayn'. Then and only then will you be a SNAKESONAPLANE, hardcore spinner.Happy friday to you.

Samantha said...

I am so jealous! Whales, extreme knitting ... what more can a girl ask for?

denny Mcmillan said...

a fricking spinning wheel, ask for a wheel...