Monday, June 19, 2006

Nova Scotia Day Two

We've been here two days and I've started making plans for us to move out here here after I've finished midwifery in five years. We could open a comedy theatre and book store...I would have my own practise. The fact that midwifery isn't covered by provincial healthcare means nothing to me - I will fight the fight.

My husband has told me to take a deep breath and enjoy the vacation. He has suggested that he might need more time to decide as he's never been out here before.

My arguments:
a) The air reeks of Green (it's so fresh my Toronto encrusted nose started to stroke out)
b) EVERYONE says hello to you on the hiking paths
c) Fleece Artist.

We haven't even really started the adventure yet!

We went for dinner at my Surrogate Family's house last night in Bedford. It was a 30 second walk to the Basin and the Kitties fall from trees here when they are ripe (the setter had treed a kitty...it jumped out when Jason got there - we told him it was a Kitty tree).

This message will be clear with pictures and more detail. Until then I leave you with this image.

Pussy Trees.

On the knitting front: Have been knitting religiously and finishing nothing, the socks have betrayed me deeply unlike the scribble shawl which is quickly reaching amazonian size. Have not decided if size matters.

Will be in Baddeck tomorrow or Wednesday...thank god we have a car.

9 comments:

lorraine said...

What a treat winding centre-pull balls for you on Friday. Enjoy the vacation and don't move away just yet. Say hi to Brenda and Julie at Gaspereau Valley Fibres for me. You'll want to move there, too, I'm sure of it. Or at least you'll want to bathe in their fibre bathtub. L:

Not An Artist said...

Yeah, everytime I go out East I start secretly plotting to move there too. Enjoy your vacation!

Marta said...

Hi! I wrote you a mail! Late, but very warm birthday wishes!! and enjoy your vacation. When are you going to Italy? Marta

Dawn Hale said...

Hi, I'm Dawn from Halifax! Did you get to the yarn shop on Young St. in Halifax? They are the Fleese Artists main distributer here and have tons of yummy fibers( give yourself lots of time- the shop overflowith!! Also "The Loop" on Barrington St. ( more upscale less choices but sweet people and they have some things we can't get anywhere else) And don't forget " Tangled Skiens" across the harbour in Dartmouth( not far at all!) she has different things as well. The 3 shops have some things in common but each is worth a trip. If you were to wander into the yard at Fleese Artist she just might let you browse and maybe even have some cheaper little balls lying around which are always yummy. The Shop on Young St. ( L&M or L&N by name)has some older stock and odds and ends of nice Fleese A yarns as well. As soon as I get in the door I head to these least someone get there ahead of me and get the best ones before me. Happy Holidays in the marintimes!! Dawn

Dawn in Halifax said...

Sorry it's L&K yarns on Young St. It's about 4 or 5 blocks from here and I just never think of the name. I read your friends blog( the one who planned your yarn trip) and see that she included them all. I do hope you're going to "Baddeck Yarns" as well, they are just the sweetest bunch. My Mum lives in North Sydney and no trip is complete until I've browsed their shop.

maggieBB said...

Everytime I return to the island, I make plans in my head about living there for good again one day... I stopped telling people this, because they like to burst my bubble. I still maintain that I can survive on PEI without a driver's liscense. Maybe I'll get a horse...

Zoom! said...

I almost bought a house when I went on a Nova Scotia holiday. I fell in love with Nova Scotia, then I fell in love with Nova Scotians, and then I fell in love with this sweet little restored Victorian house that was only $55,000. Seriously. Real estate is dirt cheap there, unless it's on the ocean. I was ready to quit my job, become friendly, and raise chickens or something.

krista said...

You can't leave. You are my new friend.

Ea Blaze said...

I'm also from Nova Scotia, and happy you're enjoying our great province! LK Yarns is a wonderful store, and I'm sure you'll enjoy Cape Breton. My mom, who taught me to knit, is from Sydney Mines, so I've always had a great appreciation for the Island. The greatest feeling is driving over Kelly's Mountain and seeing the blue water below. Have fun and Happy Knitting!