Monday, March 06, 2006

The 7 Meme - A tough One

Krista tagged me with this bad boy sometime last week. It's been a bit of toughie - I'd like to say this though, my list of things to do before I die is constantly changing and evolving. Every year I
knock a couple off of it and add a few more - this list is very important to me I use it as my life barometer.

The day I stop caring about the adventures I'm having and the adventures I want to be having is the day that something has gone terribly wrong and you should all rush to my side to snuggle me and inspire me.

Seven Things To Do Before I Die:
- Have children
- Participate in a 7 day bike and camping trip
- Learn how to spin fibre or anything on a wheel
- Become a midwife
- Backpack South America
- Go to camping in Gros Morne National Park in Newfoundland (the only province I have not traveled)
- Become my own boss

Seven Things I Cannot Do:
- Cliffdiving….god just the thought makes my skin crawl.
- I can’t really sew. Yet.
- I cannot get over the continuing ineptitude of the US government and I can’t get over how they are still in power.
- I cannot seem to read and knit at the same time. Thank god for audiobooks.
- I can’t sit and listen to certain girlfriends with 100% of my attention because I am always thinking how much nicer it would be if they were comfortable enough to let me knit when we hung out.
- I cannot do yoga behind men who wear short shorts. I’m sorry but hairy balls ruin my zen
- I just can’t let a sleeping dog lie (literally and figuratively - I was biten twice in the face before the age of 14...it's amazing my life instinct didn't kick in sooner)

Seven Things That Attract Me To My Mate:
- His unquestioning self knowledge and self confidence
- His gentleness
- The sheer breadth and scope of his passion for all things comedy.
- His ability to chill me out when I get spun without making me feel like a child
- The perspective he brings to my world
- His introvertedness which has helped me find confidence and comfort in my own quiet moments
- His gargantuan feet. Yeah, that’s right I said it.

Seven Books I Love – in no particular order:
- The Princess Bride, William Goldman
- One Hundred Years of Solitude, Gabriel Garcia Marquez
- Whale Music, Paul Quarrington
- The Hobbit, JR Tolkien
- The Collected Works of Billy the Kidd, Michael Ondaatje.

Note: I read this in university while sitting in my bedroom on a cold sunny winter afternoon in Montreal while listening to the Ghost of Tom Joad by Bruce Springsteen with a hot cup of tea. A perfect moment in and of itself but for some reason I knew it was a rare moment to have and to recognize. This tangent has been brought to you by Jen’s favorite memories.

- Live from New York: An Uncensored History of Saturday Night Live – I couldn’t put it down
- Foucault's Penduluum, Umberto Eco

Seven Things I Say:
- “Ride the horse or shoot it.” In reference to owning the personal responsibility to enjoy your own life. It’s no one else’s job.
- “Buck up.”
- “Dude, you just blew my mind”
- “I’m on it like a fat kid on a smartie or a smart kid on a fattie.”
- “If you hurt [enter person’s name who I love] I WILL FUCKING CUT YOU.”
- “Let’s kick it" - “I am digging it like an old soul record” song by Me'Shell Ndegeocello

Seven Movies I've Loved:
- The Princess Bride
- Kill Bill Vol. 2
- Broadcast News
- Wallace & Grommit – Curse of the Wererabbit
- Dr. Strangelove: or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb
- Cat on a Hot Tin Roof
- Run Lola Run (Best soundtrack. Ever.)

Bitches that I'm going to tag:

Aviva, Sophia, Sandy, Erin, Denny(sp?), Kelly, Jill, Amy

6 comments:

Lisa said...

Oh, you are so right about things that can ruin your zen. This morning at yoga a guy put his mat next to mine and then spent the next hour huffing, grunting now and then, wriggling, adjusting, change his pose and change it again, and occasionally actually following along (for a minute at most). Why does he come to a class if he's going to make most of it up and ignore most of the instructor's instructions?

I will get my zen back. I will get my zen back. I will get my zen back.

Thank-you.

tapeheads said...

I just read Foucault's Pendulum a couple of months ago and I loved it, although it hurt my head. I think I need to re-read it after I've brushed up on my numerology, judaism and mysticism

Sophia said...

Aha! Just saw this and so must get off me' arse and develop some answers to this one.

The hardest part may be finding 7 people to tag. lol

krista said...

Well worth the wait. Thanks for playing along Jen. Hairy balls ruin my zen too. ha. Sometimes even those unitards or biclycling shorts can disrupt my zen.

Sandi Purl said...

aye dios mio!! can i still play if i can't do any link-a-dinkin? i've just recently cut my bloggin cherry and i'm still a-learnin'. please do have patience. thanks Jen. i'm looking forward to getting to me. and me getting to know you. u rawk, sista!

Sophia said...

Done! In quickform (i.e. didn't tag anyone yet), since I'se goin' to bayd.