Thursday, November 17, 2005

Bringing peace to the weary

This week has sucked my big white honky ass (sorry dad). Work has been gruelling and all consuming. When I haven't been at work I've been trying to maintain a semblance of balance by doing yoga (poorly I might add) and knitting. I've been out of sorts and even more worrisome I've been out of humour all week.

The only event this week that I refused to let work impact was the Downtown Knit Collective meeting last night where Sally Melville was doing a lecture on creativity and where ideas come from to promote her new book. Besides the fact that she is an unbelievable artist, a lot of her subject matter referenced the creative and the evolution of design from concept to finished product. Specifically the relationship of the right brain (artsy fartsy) to the left brain (judgy mathy). This process applies to writing comedy as much as to design.

I walked into the room 5 minutes late to 350 people sitting in a lecture hall knitting - I found my colleague, the Knitting Accountant, with a seat saved for me. She was sitting behind Joyce (my titknitting friend who KIPs), the formidable Amy Singer and Emma. A wave of relief washed over me as I took a seat and pulled out my knitting. My throat loosened and my neck stopped hurting.

As Sally went on she talked about how left brainers and right brainers react to their worlds I started to realize that one of the reasons I've been so uncomfortable, dissatisfied, antsy and irritated this week is that my whole day is consumed with doing the code and programming for our annual membership billing.

I HATE MATH AND I HATE WRITING IN LOGIC never mind doing it on a tighter and tighter deadline. It actually hurts my forehead, makes my skin itch and my throat tight. Dear god I can't wait until Saturday morning.

No comments: