Thursday, October 20, 2005

Insanity is now locked and loaded

Last night I joined the Downtown Knit Collective it was a decision that was a long time in the making. Finally the coolness of the women in the ttc knit a long, other knitting bloggers - you know who you are and the fact that Stephanie Pearl-McPhee was speaking pushed me to the Guild. I had no choice.

Now the Yarn Harlot, besides being a spectacular knitter is an extremely talented comedic writer - she finds the comedy in her own life and obsessions and then manages to translate it into something that close to 400 other people find hilarious. A rare talent when combined with an unfettered obsession with fibre.

Mind you, her entire audience was knitting furiously throughout her talk. Something I'd never been in the midst of before - so many knitters. A gaggle? Anyway, I fell in love. Behind me there was a lawyer, a Ph.D student and a coknitter of tits. My obsession grew and felt less freakish to be honest.

After I got home I enjoyed a glass of wine, the Colbert report online and the PIC and I went to bed. I dreamt about spinning all night long for absolutely NO FUCKING REASON. It wasn't a spinners guild (although they meet in Riverdale park less than 5 blocks away from me) IT WAS THE IDEA GIVEN TO ME BY THE KNITTERS.

I was using a drop spindle, something I had never seen before never mind used. I woke up at 4:33 am it was so exciting!!! The idea of making something from a stinky pile of animal fibre! Be still my beating heart. In my dream I couldn't wait to show my knitterly Ma in Law. So I felt justified in waking her son up...under the guise that I was worried he was sleeping on his back...he didn't buy it.

The idea of not sleeping well again tonight wasn't an option (mostly for my PIC) and since I had to go to Lettuce Knit for Christmas related goodies anyway...I picked up a spindle and some roving. If I do it I won't dream about it right? It can't be as exciting as it was in my dream...clearly I just needed to try it and get it out of my system.

Megan (the staff star not the owner) was a superstar and gave me a quick birds eye view of the process. I have to say she was extremely patient and not insulted at all that I WAS DUMB AS A POST about how this worked...I had no idea of the process...

Debbie if you read this post look what I did tonight! EEEE. Uneven for sure but check out the colours (which I had nothing to do with) I can't wait to knit ANYTHING with it...

This is what it looked like before....GACK! It still makes me excited!


A moment of complete sympathy for the PIC who has been listening to me go on for well 2 hours about how cool it is that we can do this TO ANOTHER MAMMALS FUR. He's getting worried about his own hair right now. Sigh, maybe the wine will help with the sleep.

5 comments:

kelly said...

So I guess I know what we'll be talking about at lunch today, huh? lol

Anonymous said...

It truly is exciting Jen!
ezard

Jen said...

Liz!!! I thought you might enjoy the pics...I'm thinking about making some armwarmers with the yarn...

Krista said...

Before it was spun, it looked like cotton candy! Cool. I'm curious about that process, how long did it take to transform the cotton candy into something one could knit with?

Jen said...

it took about 2 or 3 hours. I had to respin a bunch of it and it is still really uneven but it's so satsifying