Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Skin Art

My love of the dragonfly was born in my first year of treeplanting with Outland/New Forest. My land was in the heart of a windless valley that was lush and overgrown. A perfect breeding ground for nature's little fuckers...the horsefly. God I hate them. There were thousands of them swarming anyone who was planting that land. All of a sudden the air was filled with little clicking noises and it became like a hum of clicking. When I looked up I saw millions of little blue dragon flies just eating the shit out of the horseflies. I fell in love.

When a dragonfly eats horseflies they actually bite the heads off and just eats the head. That rocks my world. It would seem that most insects have cyclical populations and that year was the dragonfly's peak population. It was beautiful.

I finally got my tattoo on Monday night. I love her. I've been wanting to get a dragonfly for a decade but have never seen one that looks original - the tattoo artist designed this baby.

Bobby was right - antennae are for pussies...


7 comments:

aviva said...

nu? where is it?

Jen said...

my tailbone. i called telehealth and the epidural. c'est pas une probleme

Anonymous said...

It's very beautiful!!
I love it so much really really!!

kelly said...

Heh -- you sound just like me! I went to a camping festival in June up north of Bancroft, and the place was infested with mosquitos. I never knew I could love a bug so much until I saw the dragonflies daintily making a solid meal out of the pesky squitos. You tatoo is lovely, where did you have it done?

Jen said...

Camping is delightful with dragonflies. I got the tatt at a studio called Bobby 5 on Queen West beside the Rhino. I'm in no way a hard core tatt gal and Robert was fantastic - I usually feel intimidated at tattoo parlours but not there.

Jen said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Charlotte said...

good call jen-o