Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Eat Local Challenge

I've come across this competition through Marmalade's blog. It might be just the salve to soothe my guilty energy wasting conscience.

Now that the wedding/moneymoon is over I'd love to start enjoying cooking and increasing my OCD about food and health.

Hence I introduce to you.

Eat Local - A blogger movement that is increasing momentum worldwide (how cool!) The challenge is to build your diet and eating habits on foods that are grown locally. This is a great way to support the local economy and to minimize the environmental footstep of your eating habits.

"Our food now travels an average of 1,500 miles before ending up on our tables," says one of the Locavores, Sage Van Wing, of Point Reyes. The process imperils "our environment, our health, our communities and our taste buds."

Sustainable food comes from sustainable agriculture, which does not rely on heavy use of petroleum on the farm or in distribution. Besides conserving oil, sustainable agriculture reduces carbon emissions, which are linked to global climate change and poor health. Finally, supporting local agriculture sustains the local economy.

There are a ton of resources and markets in Toronto that I found through these links. The most exciting of which is the Riverdale Market which happens on Tuesdays and is right on my way home when I walk!

Toronto Farmers’ Markets
Ontario Farmers’ Markets
City of Toronto, Eat Local!
Public Policy and the Transition to Locally Based Food Networks
Toronto Food Policy Council
WOW Foods

No comments: